In Ayurveda the term Hridaya roga means “heart attack”, which happens through a build up of cholesterol in the coronary arteries and is similar to atherosclerosis. A build up of cholesterol in the arteries will eventually to heart attacks or stroke, the arteries become narrower and the amount of blood entering the heart is insufficient for proper functioning. In this scenario the heart has to work a lot harder to pump blood throughout the body, which results in several kinds of cardiovascular diseases, the worst of which is the fatal angina pectoris.
Cholesterol is found in fatty acids. Some cholesterol is needed for proper utilization of foods in our body and for the formation of hormones and bile, etc. This is known as high-density cholesterol, or more simply, good cholesterol. Bad cholesterol simply builds up in the arteries which result in blockages. This is the low-density cholesterol, or the bad cholesterol.
Ayurvedic Cholesterol Treatment
Reducing your cholesterol can help you live a longer life with with less chance of developing cardiovascular diseases, which today is one of the leading causes of deaths in the world.
Herbs used in Ayurveda to reduce cholesterol
- Holy Basil (Ocimum sanctum) – Holy basil has the capacity to dissolve the accumulated cholesterol from the arteries into the person’s bloodstream. From there they are eliminated by the kidneys.
- Alfalfa (Medicago satina) – Alfalfa is effective in treating problems of the arteries. It helps to clear cholesterol in the arteries.
- Arjuna (Terminalia arjuna) – Arjuna has been used for hundreds of years for the treatment of heart related problems such as heart attacks. The bark of the arjuna when taken in powder form has beneficial properties for the heart. It dissolves the cholesterol that accumulates in the coronary artery and reduce the possibility of heart attacks.
- Coriander (Coriandrum sativum) – Coriander is a very good diuretic. It improves the functioning of the kidneys by helping the kidneys to flush out the excess unneeded cholesterol from the body.
- Garlic (Allium cepa) – Garlic is highly beneficial for those with cholesterol problems that affects efficient functioning of the heart. Eating two to three cloves of garlic a day helps to reduce or even completely eliminate the harmful cholesterol in the blood. Garlic can dissolve the blood cholesterol
- Guggulu (Commiphora mukul) – This is a traditional Indian herb which has become very popular in the Ayurvedic treatment of cholesterol-related heart problems. It contains guggulipid (a plant steroid also known as guggulsterones) which have been proven to reduce cholesterol levels when used regularly is also used for weight loss. 25 mg of these guggulsterones are prescribed for intake thrice a day.
Dietary Treatments for Cholesterol
Steps you can take to help reduce the buildup of cholesterol in your arteries are as follows:-
- Keep a careful watch on the amount of calories you are consuming. Say no to chocolates, ice creams, red meats and all such foods that can increase the calorie count.
- Sources of fats such as fried foods are to be avoided. Groundnut oil must be strictly prohibited. But fat sources such as cow’s milk, cow’s ghee and cow’s butter are recommended. Avoid dairy products from buffalo.
- Consume more fruits and fresh vegetables, green leafy vegetables are necessary to provide roughage, this helps with elimination of waste materials.
- Soy and soy products are very beneficial for the proper utilization of cholesterol.
- Drink plenty of water each day. Water helps to remove toxic buildup in the arteries.
- Quit smoking
- Alcohol should be avoided as it interfere with proper utilization of cholesterol in the body.
Ayurvedic Treatment for Cholesterol
Ayurvedic treatment for high level of cholesterol is to prescribe the various herbs that have properties to reduce the buildup.
- Boil a glass of milk with a piece of garlic in it. This will reduce the cholesterol and take care of cardiac pains. It has to be continued for a few days before the method begins to show its effects.
- Drinking coriander in water everyday helps in the reduction of cholesterol in the body. This regime must be continued for about a month. Then the cholesterol levels must be checked again.
- Have cold hipbaths twice daily. These have been shown to have positive effects in the reduction of cholesterol when taken on a regular basis.
- A simple remedy is to have a single piece of garlic every morning. This takes time to show results, but the results are positive.
- Consume some almonds and walnuts on a daily basis.
|Lad, a leading expert in the field and founder of the Ayurvedic Institute (Albuquerque, NM), demystifies this ancient healing tradition from India. This book is the first one I’ve read on Ayurveda which makes immediate sence. Written in a practical straight forward way, It is obvious the author genuinely cares about his readers.|
|Eat.Taste.Heal is a groundbreaking work within the field of holistic health and nutrition, written by a medical doctor, a patient, and an acclaimed chef. A complete guidebook and cookbook in one, Eat.Taste.Heal demystifies the ancient healing science of Ayurveda, humankind’s most ancient system of healthy living. The aim of the book is simple: to create harmony within through using common foods and healthy lifestyle practices as medicine. Review:strong> What a beautiful gem! For more than a decade, I’ve been following and living by Ayurvedic principles and when this book fell into my hands, I felt as if I’d received a gift from the heavens.||An excellent guide to Ayurvedic medical applications of herbs. This book includes a good introduction to Ayurvedic principles, management of the doshas and good summary charts for over 270 as well as detailed sections on 108 of the most common herbs and special Oriental herbs. Invaluable for the herbalist interested in Ayurveda.|
|As an Ayurvedic esthetician, not only was this the perfect text book, but as a wonderful reference book, too. It is well written, easy to read, informative and the cover is especially telling. The woman balancing the three doshas is the perfect picture of what we try to do with our lives.|
Consulting with an Ayurvedic doctor is highly recommended before embarking on home remedies.