There are two types of herpes simplex viruses, and belong to the same family of virus’ associated with chicken pox, (varicella-zoster virus), this virus is responsible for shingles or herpetic eye disease (zoster ophthalmicus). Most of us who have had chicken pox will carry this virus, for many it will remain dormant and present no problems, for others, given the right circumstances it can result in Herpes, shingles or eye problems.
- Herpes simplex type 1 (HSV-1) Mostly causes oral herpes but in some individuals can also cause genital herpes and is contagious in its active stage
- Herpes simplex type 2 (HSV-2). This is the virus that mostly causes genital herpes and is contagious in its active stage
Herpes Virus and Ayurveda
In Ayurveda medicine it is believed that unhealthy diet and life styles can interfere with the delicate balance between the three doshas, (Veta, Pitta and Kapha) it can disturb the element known as Agni (digestive fire) in Ayurveda. Agni is the digestive fire, which is responsible for transformation of one substance to another. It breaks down the food substances, eliminates toxins and wastes, maintains body temperature, and resists invasion of microbes by maintaining a strong immune system.
Agni (digestive fire), assists the efficient digestion of all aspects of life such as food, sensory impressions, experience and memories. When agni is balanced it enables the body to absorb all the nutrients from the food we eat directly into our cells. When agni (English root word for ignite) or digestive fire is impaired, toxins in the body are accumulated and are not metabolized by the body efficiently; therefore, food fails to complete the digestion process, resulting in the failure to nourish the body which in turn leads to a lowered immune system.
When a persons immunity has been lowered and comes into contact with herpes simplex virus, he/she can contract genital or oral herpes.
Factors which contribute to contracting the Herpes Virus
- Consuming food frequently even when not hungry
- Sleeping in afternoons
- Over physical exertion
- Over eating
- Over mental exertion
- Constant exposure to hot sunny climates
- Unhealthy diet
Foods which may trigger the Herpes virus
Excessive consumption of:
- Salty, sour, hot, spicy food
- Sour curds
- Charred and overcooked food
- Sesame, Bengal gram, horse gram, sesame oil, rice flour, garlic, fish
Types of Food that shouldn’t be consumed together
- Curds, salt, mushrooms, bamboo shoots, sour fruits, meat, prawn, pork, should not be consumed with milk. The above-mentioned foods should not be consumed by mixing one item with another
- Sprouts, honey and milk should not be consumed with meat and fish
- Fish with milk – fish with sugarcane juice – pork and treated dried meats – honey and pork – milk with mango; banana with milk; these are types of opposite foods.
How Genital herpes is contracted
- The virus can be transmitted when mucous membrane comes in contact with infected area
- If he is sexual active and when he performs sex (genital or oral) with infected partners
- The herpes virus can be transmitted to the genital organs of a partner during oral sex and a person who has genital herpes transmits this to his partner during coitus when they have a genital contact.
Ayurvedic treatment of the herpes virus
- Balance the doshas – Achieved through modifications to the diet
- Supplementing the diet with vitamins, minerals and herbs which will help balance the doshas that lead to herpes
- Ayurveda herbal preparations which help to detoxify the blood by ridding the toxins and vitiated doshas through the lymphatic system